[Technical_wg] Expiration of Client-Accounts at DENIC-Authority

Pawel Kowalik pawel.kowalik at ionos.com
Fri May 17 12:56:57 UTC 2019

Hi Marcos,

I think it's indeed reasonable to expire some registrations after a time.

The issue which I see is that OIDC Dynamic Client Registration specifies only GET command on the "Client Configuration" end-point, so the method you propose to prolong the account is somewhat out of standard.

The handling implemented in the clients so far, to make new registration, if the previous one is close to expire.
It has a down-side that there is always new client_id generated and any consents related to such old client_id will be lost.

One way would be to push extension of the specification to define also write commands,
or the other way would be to prolong client account at the time it's used. Clients can then prevent re-registration by reading their Client Configuration before trying to re-register.

Kind Regards,
Pawel